Here we go.

27 September 2010

Goner

Gonerfest 7 was fun! It's really a sight & sound to behold, I hope all (North) Little Rockers make the trek at least once. You spend most of your time navigating the wall-to-wall human body, trying to find one spot to watch the band, breathe oxygen & hold a beer, but there will always be a band that will knock you on your ass. Notable bands: the Parting Gifts & the Strapping Fieldhands. If you get a chance to see the Parting Gifts, go go go! They are terrific live! Their drummer ruled me. She's solid & has a brilliant style. The lady singer? She actually SINGS. By that I mean she actually opens her mouth and belts it out with no holding back. Super great guitar & a REAL keyboardist, one that actually tickles the ivories. I'm smitten. I will be holding hands with this band this fall:





So, between bands, I spent a good deal of time just looking at Memphians. Whatta lot! Can't help but compare scenes, Memphis & Little Rock. So different, the two. I will give Memphis the grit edge, but Little Rock has the "I don't know what". Sounds better in French. "Je ne sais quoi." Maybe it's because I have a niche here & that makes things so safe & easy. Little Rock isn't so polarized; we all hang out together. Punkers, rockers & country, etc. In Memphis, every stereotype has it's own crowd, divided. Even so, ATM & I manage to navigate it with ease, undetected. I couldn't live there, but when I leave, I miss it. I think it's the food. I would drive to Memphis just to eat fried chicken, pho & BBQ. There's the music & the history, too, sure.

Ah, the only picture I got from Gonerfest, the Strapping Fieldhands:
Photobucket

On Saturday, we ate at Interstate BBQ again. That food haunts me! Their pulled pork sandwich has staying power because we didn't eat again until the next day. Damn, huh? Lordy, it is so heavenly. I spent most of the day in our hotel room watching the Razorbacks game. It wasn't my just being supportive, but an attempt to not spend all of my $$$ in Memphis. I really don't want to talk about it. O.K., just a little. What a damn disappointment! WE HAD IT! The Hogs consistently break my heart and I take them back, time and time again. It was a real 'egg on the face' moment for me, because I'm in our room, pacing, shouting and calling the Hogs. I'm certain my neighbors weren't impressed; there are more 'Bama fans in Memphis than Hog fans. But, that's what I love about Hog fans. We can be the solitary fan on foreign & unfriendly soil and even with the heartbreak & ridicule, remain true. Even so, the losses don't hurt any less.

Photobucket

I found myself mouthing the words "Ryan Mallett". It was weird.
Photobucket

From this view, you can't see the sad faces:
Photobucket

That night @ Goner, we got to (more hear than) see New Bomb Turks & Guitar Wolf. Eh. It was o.k. I don't know, I guess I was hoping to be killed, but I was barely knicked. NBT was amusing, they've got quite showman for a lead singer. It felt like a 90's punk show. But, Guitar Wolf? I had high hopes. It was uneventful. I think there was more sunglasses-at-night posing than rocking. I have a problem with that. Howl.

Autumn arrived while we were in Memphis.
Photobucket

We did check in on Jay; still no headstone, but there were visitors:
Photobucket

I don't know, I still can't believe he's buried right next to Isaac Hayes. The grass is just now starting to take for both:
Photobucket

Went to Sun Records for the first time. We didn't take the tour because we were way too tired (next time, next time), but I did pick up novelties to use as prizes for the Joyce Elliott fundraiser.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunday MEMPHIS:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Extras ----->

Pho Vietnam, a favorite. Better'n Little Rock, I'm afraid:
Photobucket

Almost healed!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket






No comments:

Blog Archive